Paul Tremlett is internationally recognized as a leading expert in complex organization design and change management. He applies his extensive experience in strategic planning, organization restructuring, and leadership development to help organizations improve the way they do business.
His experience has most often been at the senior management level and includes extensive work across Canada, United States, Indonesia, Japan, and China. He has spoken at a number of conferences and has written articles about organization restructuring, innovation, total quality, employee motivation, and leadership. Paul has been a frequent presenter at a variety of business and professional conferences.
Paul’s approach is always pragmatic yet innovative, and designed to the specific needs of the client organization. As a result, he has brought about significant improvement for his clients. He has worked with a cross-section of private and public sector organizations. He has helped organizations develop their strategic plans, redesign their work structure, improve their processes, and increase the effectiveness of their leadership cadre. His senior clients consider him a trusted advisor and coach.
He specializes in
• organization design and strategy execution
• managerial leadership development and effectiveness—including establishing competency frameworks for managers at all levels in the organization
• management process development and improvement
• change management
• talent pool development
• executive coaching
Before joining COREinternational, Paul held various management roles with Imperial Oil Limited and Xerox Canada in sales, marketing, operations, and organization and leadership development.
• Bachelor of Commerce – University of Alberta
• MSc in Organization Behaviour - The American University, Washington, DC
Paul Tremlett is a leading expert in complex organization design and change management. He applies his extensive experience in strategic planning, organization restructuring, and leadership development to help organizations improve or transform the way they do business. His experience has most often been at the senior management level and includes work across Canada, the United States, Indonesia, Japan, Africa, and China. He has spoken at a number of conferences and has written articles about organization restructuring, innovation, total quality, employee motivation, and leadership.
Present: Freelance management consultant and executive advisor based in Ontario, Canada
1997 – 2017: COREinternational Inc, Founding Partner and President
1987 – 1996: The CORHE Group Inc, President and founding member of CORE Partners (a virtual consulting group)
1981 – 1986: Founding Partner in Berkeley Developmental Resources Inc.
1969 – 1980: Xerox Canada, various roles including leading the Organization and Leadership Development function, as well as sales and region operations management positions
Some consulting career examples
• Over a four-year period, consulted to the CIO and senior management team in a major Canadian bank, consolidating several independent IT organizations into one integrated applications and infrastructure unit. At every stage, a key component of the work involved role clarification for at least the top three levels of the various parts of the system. This contributed significantly to enhancing the effectiveness of technology in meeting business requirements in a highly competitive and regulated market. It also contributed to reducing the cost of technology and, in turn, the bank’s overall NIX ratio by several percentage points, bringing it more in line with the industry norm.
• Led a project with a large Canadian resource company to establish a new business unit carved from an existing entity, where it was underperforming. The work included structuring the top three layers of management and defining role and role relationship accountabilities through a cascading clarification and team development process. This work contributed to the new business unit increasing production by approximately 40% while providing greater focus on operational reliability. The work ultimately became a major enabler to a smooth, successful merger with another large company by rapidly and seamlessly integrating the acquired organization’s similar business unit.
• Helped a major Canadian mining company better align its managerial structure to run the company more like a full P&L business than simply an extraction and processing entity, enabling a reduction of over $80 million in its operating cost base. This was necessary for survival in a declining price market.
• Restructured a large cable television company, resulting in immediate year-over-year savings in excess of $8 million, along with clearer accountability and focus to achieve a 10% increase in gross margin on a revenue base of close to $1 billion.
• Assisted Canada’s largest human resource organization in creating a strategic blueprint for the 1990s. A major outcome was transformation from a management-oriented organization to a professional-oriented entity, including a change in name to reflect the shift.
• Worked with the Chairman and Senior Management of an Agency, critical to provincial revenue generation, to restructure its Senior Executive Committee in light of new strategy, increasing operating environment issues and challenges, creation of a new Board of Directors, and turnover on the top team. A key outcome was the creation of a corporate strategic structure that more effectively dealt with anticipated major shifts in how the agency will do business in the future and that would attract the calibre of executive talent required.
• Consulted to a growing entrepreneurial company carving out a significant niche in the healthcare industry, providing advice on organization planning and design with particular emphasis on marketing, sales and operations structures, and business processes, all in preparation for a planned IPO.
• Consulted to several Federal and Provincial public sector organizations on the development of strategic plans, the restructuring of work systems, and the design and facilitation of stakeholder communication and involvement processes.
• Bachelor of Commerce, University of Alberta
• MSc in Organization Behaviour, The American University, Washington, DC.